Friday, March 2, 2012

Improv In Action: Thai Curry Chicken Phyllo Pastry

This will have an air of brevity. The party is tomorrow night!

I was thinking of doing chicken kabobs, but don't really have enough chicken for that. I am stuffing all kinds of stuff into a phyllo pastry because that is what I have and the dinner is mediterranean themed (mostly because I can feel lots of people fairly easily with greek/arab food) and Ambra (it's her party) Is from Italy. So...I'm going to do the obvious thing. I'm going to stuff the pastries with a thai curried chicken. Sort of. I had this vision of ginger and coriander and turmeric and lemon and onions and garlic and such. Then I realized that I made and froze a bunch of thai curry paste recently and it had all those things (and more).

How the Thai Curry goes with the theme... There are many varieties of thai curry around. My first and only love is I now know a very specific Thai Yellow Curry called Mussaman/Massaman Curry . (Many Thai Places Serve a more Asian version of yellow Curry) The menu almost always says Yellow Curry with a description but rarely distinguishes the name Mussiman. Anyhow, the Mussaman Curry is so named because this curry is made by the Muslims of Thailand and it incorporates Arab Spices. (Cardimom, Corriander, Clove, Cumin)

The curry is usually served as a soup kind of dish with potatoes and other vegetables. I'm going to cook the chicken from frozen in my crockpot with Onions, Curry Paste, Tamarind, Lime Juice and a little bit of coconut milk. I'll cook it down into a marinade kind of coating, then I will process it in the food processor. The mixture will include some sauteed onions, tiny roasted potato dices, pre-cooked peas, and fresh shredded carrots.

I'll try and let you know how it turns out after the party.

No comments:

Post a Comment